The Gavster, the Lite Guv, our former mayor, has a new book out, and while I eagerly await my review copy of "Citizenville," I got to hear some of its themes on Forum. Here's what the honorable Lieutenant Governor Newsom has to say:
You've got to "lean into it."
Oh, and you need to "get into their heads."
He can talk a lot about the millenial generation and technology, and he made some valid points about how government, particularly voting, is still way too analog (young people vote all day long, with likes on Facebook, and they vote for American Idol contestants, but not for local government offices). And he's still hugely, overly enamoured of the notion that technology (operating through the private sector) can solve all of our problems.
But mostly: Platitudes. Astonishing, amazing gushers of platitudes. It got really hard to listen after a while; it's as if the guy has taken ever bad cliche of the past decade and burned it so deeply into his brain that he doesn't even realize he's spewing them back out.
I hope the book's a little better. Meanwhile, Gav: Get a grip.
Most Commented On
- Who gets hit by Muni switchbacks? - May 18, 2013
- True, but the problem is ever worse than that since some - May 18, 2013
- The issue isn't whether a worker is illegal but - May 18, 2013
- Offering up a verbal taxonomy is hardly hate speech. - May 18, 2013
- Oh? - May 18, 2013
- Share a cab - May 18, 2013
- Winograd went on to leave the Dem party - May 18, 2013
- Some more analysis of the SF recycling boondoggle - May 18, 2013
- How do we know what laws to obey? - May 18, 2013
- The law doesn't support that interpretation. - May 18, 2013