Wandering around Polk Street before the Super Bowl on Sunday, I was seeing red -- but not from stray elbows or overserved sports boors. Team-inspired fashion is usually a pretty simple affair: a hat, a T-shirt with a logo, maybe a jacket. But this is San Francisco, where we don't do common and the Niners' presence in the Super Bowl was one more excuse for residents to show off their flair for dramatic costuming.
But though I was out looking for the over-the-top, the Niners gear I did managed to capture ended up being mainly on the tasteful side of things. I spotted a woman and pup in matching red gear, a cute couple subtly sporting Niners colors without sacrificing J. Crew-crispness.
That aside, my favorite was a man in a gigantic red and gold poncho. As I began to introduce myself, the gentleman spotted my camera and tipsily exclaimed, “you don’t even have to ask!” He grabbed his buddies and struck a pose. I’m betting he was probably pretty upset after the game. But least he was already wearing his security blanket. Not to mention, swathed in love for his hometown, win or lose.
Most Commented On
- Of course, yes! I just gave you a link...did you follow it? - May 22, 2013
- So if it's OK for Apple to avoid taxes because it is legal - May 22, 2013
- Can't have the niggers be uppity, - May 22, 2013
- Just to try answering your question, JAW - May 22, 2013
- Thanks for the compliment but I am - May 22, 2013
- Yep, we've had rent control for 34 years and rents are now at - May 22, 2013
- Save taxes? - May 22, 2013
- Can you give an example of someone "threatened" by SFBG? - May 22, 2013
- SCOTUS decides how to interpret the Constitution and that - May 22, 2013
- Yep, the left in SF are always fighting each other. - May 22, 2013