Spotlights, please! Our 22nd annual Guardian Outstanding Local Discovery Awards celebrate the best and brightest in Bay Area arts and culture
GOLDIES 2010 Welcome to the 22nd annual Goldies issue. The Goldies stand for Guardian Outstanding Local Discovery awards, and rather than isolating one particular art form as a promotional endeavor, they aim to bring the Bay Area arts community together to celebrate actors, choreographers, filmmakers, musicians, and performance and visual artists who have added something special to the creative landscape.
It's always tempting for me to imagine a grand Goldies production codirected by all of a year's awardees. As they come together, the Goldies have a tendency to take on a life or identity of their own, and this year it's fair to say that through chance or happenstance, the awards are sporting a little more gay glitter than usual. Another theme that has revealed itself is how true fandom or intense appreciation for a form of expression can, through the type of education that blooms from extreme dedication, metamorphose into art. A number of this year's winners began as fans or enthusiasts, and over time, converted that enthusiasm into unique sites, sights, and sounds.
The 14 2010 Goldie winners were selected by myself along with fellow Guardian editors Cheryl Eddy and Marke B., and regular critics and contributors Robert Avila, Rita Felciano, and Matt Sussman. The initial nominations came from contributors to the Bay Area arts scenes and a number of Guardian writers. You can join the awardees and some surprise special guests Nov. 10 for a free celebration at 111 Minna Gallery. If you're wondering what to wear, go for the gold. (Click below to learn more about this year's winners, and check out last year's winners here.)
Most Commented On
- Steven, do you understand the difference between an idea and the - March 12, 2014
- Newsflash to wired guy and - March 12, 2014
- Wait, I thought the fire was caused by a google shuttle bus? - March 12, 2014
- Inside insurance jobs happen durtng down RE markets. - March 12, 2014
- The progressive theory is that new homes increases rents and - March 12, 2014
- Intelligence vs. Cynicism - March 12, 2014
- Global Climate Warming - March 12, 2014
- Which of course is an art form. - March 12, 2014
- The nanny state never ceases in its mission to control every - March 12, 2014
- No flossing = expensive dental visit - March 12, 2014